Contract Education at Chabot-Las Positas Community College District currently serves as the local educational agency (LEA) for six apprenticeship programs, including:
- Alameda County JATC IBEW Local 595 Inside Electrician
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) San Diego Chapter Apprenticeship Program
- Communications Workers of America District 9 Telecommunications Technician
- Independent Roofing Contractors of California Roofer
- Sprinkler Fitters U.A. Local 483 JAC
- Western Burglar and Fire Alarm Association UATC Fire/Life Safety
All apprenticeship programs provide “learn while you earn” training, combining paid on-the-job training and classroom instruction to support apprentices as they progress through their program. Additional benefits include:
- College Credit and Career Growth – Apprentices can earn college credit for apprenticeship courses. For-credit courses also provide a starting point for future college attendance that can expand future employment opportunities in their trade.
- Funding for Training – Apprentice class attendance generates Related and Supplemental Instruction (RSI) funding that the Program Sponsor can reinvest into their training program.
Current Apprenticeship Programs
Alameda County JATC IBEW Local 595 Inside Electrician
Housed in the nation’s first zero net energy (combining energy production with dramatically reduced consumption) training center (combining energy production with dramatically reduced consumption), the Alameda County JATC IBEW Local 595 requires electrical apprentices to complete a five-year structured, national curriculum, consisting of 900 hours of classroom instruction and 8,000 hours of on the job training before achieving journeyman status.
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) San Diego Chapter Apprenticeship Program
The San Diego Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Apprenticeship Program is a state and federally recognized three to five year construction training program combining extensive on-the-job training and related classroom instruction. ABC San Diego offers training in the electrical, plumbing, pipefitting and sheet metal trades. The ABC San Diego training facility houses 16 classrooms, a computer lab and a hands-on working lab of over 11,000 square feet.
Communications Workers of America District 9 Telecommunications Technician
Telecommunications Technicians provide a wide range of residential and commercial services in telephone service and computer networks. During the three-year program, CWA District 9 Telecommunications Technician apprentices complete 450 hours of classroom instruction and 6,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Training Director: Jim Landers
Phone: (408) 947-0563
Email: [email protected]
Independent Roofing Contractors of California Roofer
Workers trained in the IRCC Roofer Apprenticeship program participate in three years of classroom training as well as 4,000 on-the-job training hours. During their course of study, they learn how to install traditional roofing systems as well as “green roofing technology”.
Sprinkler Fitters U.A. Local 483 JAC
Sprinkler Fitters and Apprentices U.A. Local 483 is committed to providing the best trained and most qualified Sprinkler Fitters in North America. Sprinkler Fitters U.A. Local 483 offers a five-year apprenticeship program, accredited by both the U.A. and the State of California, in a brand new state-of-the-art training facility in Hayward.
Western Burglar and Fire Alarm Association UATC Fire/Life Safety
The Western Burglar and Fire Alarm Association UATC Fire/Life Safety Apprenticeship Program requires a three-year, full-time commitment comprised of six semesters of online Related Supplemental Instruction (RSI) through Chabot College and 6,000 hours of on-the-job training with a WBFAA UATC member company, which prepares apprentices to work as low voltage electricians, installing and maintaining fire, security and health (hospital) alarm systems.